The Annoying Cabin Luggage Rules and How to Avoid Them
Are you ready to explore Brussels? We can’t wait to see you!
It’s going to be huge. I know. One of the best experiences you had so far.
Since you probably want to “travel light” as they say, let’s do a final check of your airline luggage rules and you are ready to go.
And here is the biggest problem: The cabin luggage is getting smaller and smaller!
As EuroNews.com reported recently:
“The international airline trade association, the IATA , announced guidelines for an “optimal” carry-on baggage size of 55cm tall, 34cm wide and 19cm deep in order “that theoretically everyone should have a chance to store their carry-on bags on board aircraft of 120 seats or larger.”
Plus, there are many constraints regarding liquids that you need to follow like:
- containers must hold no more than 100ml
- containers must be in a single, transparent, resealable plastic bag, which holds no more than a litre and measures approximately 20cm x 20cm
- contents must fit comfortably inside the bag so it can be sealed
- the bag must not be knotted or tied at the top
- you’re limited to 1 plastic bag per person
- you must show the bag at the airport security point
What can you do? You can only follow them, of course.
Just as a comparison, here are the current flight baggage sizes (thanks to skyscanner.net):
This means that you can get stuck or pay additionally if your bag is 4cm bigger. But, we want to go deeper and explore…
Why we usually decide to travel with a handbag only and avoid the checked luggage?
There are two obvious reasons:
- We don’t want to pay an additional fee for a checked luggage;
- We want to avoid the discomfort and hassle of dragging the big bags with us.
Regarding the “money” problem, all too often it is the wrong saving. I am sure that you can recall different situations where you end up spending money for something that you left home, or having to pass on a good occasion because you didn’t pack what you needed, like another shirt or a swimsuit… That leaves us with that “carrying big bags” problem, and we think that this is the case in 90% of the time. Living in this day and age, we want everything to be easy and fast.
Now, if I tell you that these bags can be sort of teleported in your hotel. Wouldn’t it be great?
Up until recently it was only a wish but now we are proud to say that it can be a reality!
The conclusion of all this?
Going on a trip should be relaxing and fun. No frustrations and no problems. There is no way you can have a great time if there are annoyances from the start.
So yes, focus on traveling light. Your carry-on luggage should be only that: a carry-on. Put in there only those things you need the most or the fastest. And think about teleporting the rest of your luggage. So…
- You’ll go through airport security faster;
- You won’t have to wear two jackets;
- You’ll save money because you won’t have to buy stuff you left behind.
And guess what? Immediately after you leave the airplane you can surrender yourself to real enjoyment. A light carry-on and checked-in luggage taken care of.
The trip has started. Welcome to Brussels!